Functions of Cationic Surfactant - Emulsification
Emulsification refers to two liquids (such as oil and water) that are not in phase with each other. One of the liquids is uniformly dispersed into another liquid with very small particles (particle size of 10-8~10-5m). Emulsion. Dispersing oil droplets into water is called oil-in-water emulsion (O/W), and water droplets are dispersed in oil, which is called water-in-oil emulsion liquid (W/O). A surfactant that can help emulsification is called an emulsifier. Surfactants used as emulsifiers have both stabilizing and protective effects.
The emulsifier has the effect of lowering the interfacial tension between the two liquids to stabilize the mixed system. Because when oil (or water) is dispersed into many tiny particles in water (or oil), the contact area between them is enlarged, resulting in an increase in the energy level of the system and an unstable state. When an emulsifier is added, the lipophilic group of the emulsifier molecule is adsorbed on the surface of the oil droplet particles and the hydrophilic group is extended into the water, and a hydrophilic molecular film is formed on the surface of the oil droplet to form a hydrophilic molecular film. It reduces the energy level of the system and reduces the attraction between the oil droplets, preventing the oil droplets from being aggregated and then re-divided into two layers.
The aligning molecular film formed by the surfactant on the surface of the oil droplet is a strong protective film that prevents oil droplets from colliding and accumulating. If it is an oriented molecular film formed by an ionic surfactant, the oil droplets are also charged with the same kind of electric charge, so that the mutual repulsion is increased to prevent the oil droplets from aggregating in frequent collisions.
- January 25, 2019Quaternay ammonium salt bactericide, which has the property of ionic compound, is easy to dissolve in the water while it is hard to behave in the same way in the non-polar solvent, being stable in che...view
- January 25, 2019SterilizationThe quaternary ammonium salt bactericide has the property of an ionic compound, which is highly soluble in water and is insoluble in a non-polar solvent, with stable Chemical properties. ...view
- January 25, 2019Common cationic surfactants are cetyldimethylammonium chloride (1631), octadecyltrimethylammonium chloride (1831), cationic guar gum (C-14S), cationic panthenol, cation Silicone oil, dodecyl dimethyl ...view
- January 25, 2019Soft and smoothWhen the surfactant molecules are aligned on the surface of the fabric, the relative coefficient of static friction of the fabric can be reduced. Non-ionic surfactants such as linear al...view
- November 15, 2018（1）Emulsification: the oil has big surface tension in the water, so when water is dripped into the oil and stirred with efforts, the oil will be turned into fine beads and emulsion will appear due to the mixu...view
- December 17, 2018Surfactant can be applied to citizen’s daily life and industries. It is said from some information that 2/3 of those for civil use are applied in personal care products; the composite detergent is on...view